Most say that foodie gift isn't a good idea, while for me is one of favourite gift to receive and do, plus every home made products is welcome, and with a nice packacging-always diy- is great choiche so those are ideas that I found on magazines:
PEPPERMINT CREAMS: receipe make about 80
- 1 large egg white
- Few drops peppermint extract
- 325 g iceing sugar, plus extra to dust
- Plain chocolate
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg white and peppermint extract until frthy but not stiff. Sift in the icing sugar and stir to make a stiff mixture.
- Tip the mixture on to a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar and knead until smooth. Re-dust the surface with more icing sugar and roll out the mixture til it's 5 mm thick.
- Use a selection of cutters to cut out shapes and arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. re-roll the mixture as necessary. Leave the shapes to harden in warm place overnight.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the base doesn't touch the water. Once melted, remove from the heat. Half -dip some of the creams in the melted chocolate and leave to harden-about 3 hours.
(Store in an airtight container for up 2 months)
MARINATED OLIVES AND GOAT'S CHEESE- RECEIPE SERVE 2 X 500 ML JARS
- Pared zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1 spring each thyme, rosemary and oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 300 g mixed black and green olives
- 100 gr soft goat's cheese, roughly crumbled
- 450 ml extra virgin oil
- 1/2 tbsp peppercorns
- Prepare a small bowl of iced water. Bring a small pan of water to the boil and cook the lemon zest,herbs, chilli and garlic for 1 minute. Lift out using a slotted sspoon and plunge into the iced water. Drain and dry on kitchen paper.
- Mix together with the olives, cheese, oil and peppercorns. Spoon into 2 x 500 ml sterilised jars. Make sure everything is covered with oil (top with extra if needed). Chill.
( it will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks)
Then you can try to make some interesting Xmas drinks as Eggnog and this year I am going to include a bottle of a delicious extra virgin olive oil, that I discover because the owner and creator is a friend of my brother.
What you need is time to dedicate to the person who'll reeive the basket, have nie basket, ribbon and other materials to do also a very nice giftwrap!!!
This is a good ideas half sweet and half salt, but aleways amazing delicious!!!