SOUP TIME

My favourite season is summer because is almost always sunny with looooooooong journeys and I have time to do outdoor activities, for colours I find a lot fashinating and romantic fall and autumnal temperature permit me to cook soups, almost every day, I like soup, chicken broth (not only when I got flu) because it is became a sort of comfty food of the season, when outside is too cold and you touch something hot/warm is a pleasure, is the same thng for summer when is too hot outside and you want to have on hand a iced drink to refresh all.

Maybe you could think that soup is a boring dish, that you eat always the same things....extremely wrong, if you know the veggies season and you will plan your grocery shopping your diet will be healty, colourful, savy and different every day... is true there is a soup that I prefer respect others but also if I am italian I prefer rice instead pasta (but I love lasagna and cannelloni), and I love veggies so honestly my mum is been always lucky about my diet...

Which veggies are in store now? To be honest you can find almost all always but not all is real in season so I looked for fruit and veggies real season and now I know what is really good to find buy and eat in the month of October:

Chestnuts, cedars, clementine, mandarine, lemon, apple, pear, grape, pomegranate, prickly pears

Broccoli(first of season),chard and turnip greens (first), carrot, cauliflower,cabbageonion, fennel, eggplant (last of season), potatoes, peppers(last), hot peppers, tomatoes (last), leeks, pumpkin, zucchini (last), radicchio, shallots, celery, mushrooms.

If you buy food that is in season means that you can save a lot of money on your grocery shopping, I convinced also a friend of mine to try to eat soup and I suggested some receipes:

Sweet potato and cabbage soup:

This is a receipe that could be considered also light,
 the receipe serves 4 
time 25 minutes
(calorie per portion 160)

Ingredients:

2 onions 
2garlics slices
4 light bacon slices
500 g sweet potatoes
parsnips
1 spoon of thym
900 ml vegetable broth
1 little cabbage

In a big pot put onions, bacon and garlic all cutted a fry for 2-3 minutes, add sweet potatoes, parsnips and broth, cook for 15 minutes.
Put 2/3 of the soup in a mixer and blend it then put it again in the pot, add the cabbage and cook other 5/7 minutes (till cabbage is cooked).
Serve it with toasted bread (perfect mix will be with irish bread) and it's a complete dish!!!

You can also don't put the parsnips but I can say it is delicious, because also if you need to save on bill you musn't save on the favour!!!

Commenti