I was talking with a friend of mine last week and we talked about "how was amazing when parents pay for us", for example during my high school years I started to work ina cafe and every single penny I earned is been involved in shopping session, savings weren't important because parnts paid for me, my food and my clothes, now situation is different, savings are important, I have a budget and try to respect it and also if sometimes I would like to enter in shops and buy whatever I want without thinking about bank account, I follow some tips to be sure that I have "happy spending session"...
noting is worst that came back at home with tons of bags and really unhappy about expenses!!!
What you must to do during shopping?
- Think before buy: you need to think if this purchase will help you to stay happy in the next week, month, year...if you really use it often, try to imagine mayb eyou buy a great pair of shoes but you wear them only once, this means a bad investment, while a great pair of boot tha tyou can use almost daily from day to night in different occasion is a good method to repay the investment you do on shoes, the purchase you're going to do is perfect combinated with your personality?
- Try to Emulate happy people: Most people are really happy, they choose after paid utilities and essentials, to save or invest at least 25% and donate to charity, they choose to save a determinated amount that is destinated to "life experience" (cook course, travel, extreme sports, fancy restaurants).
- Buy into your closet: As I wrote many time we go into shops and buy someone that we liked at first sight but when we're came back at home we discover to have same models, or some dresses/clothes you never wore...so you need to take a week end to put everything out of the closet, take notes of what you're really wear and what you never used, understanding also reason, so this will help you next time you craving like Homer Simpson with Donught in front of a cocktail dress:P
- Plan it: I'm not saying that shopping will not exist in your life, but you need to do a plan and decide what is really important, for example in the month of December I am going to gift myself with a new laptop, also if you have a deteminated period of NO-shopping you can create folder witha whish list and then understand what is really important, for example cocktail dress you are not goign to wear is a totally waste of money, a nice trench that you can wear always is a good investment and a good treatment to yourself.
- Cash teraphy: seems stupid but paying only with cards you aren't able to see "real money" go out from your wallet, you need to understand your budget, plan a weekly budget and follow it, take into your wallet only that amount (daily or weekly) and so you will not tempted to overspend!!!
- Friendhip: when you're on a budget and you go out with friends that buy always, is easy to emulate them and have a bad bank account, while if you have a good friend that know you're trying to save and you need to keep the budget, is good that her remind your priorities suggesting other shops low cost!!!
- NEVER BUY WHEN YOU'RE UNHAPPY: : when you are unhappy is the wors time to do shopping, you buy everything and in the end the end you will have tons of stupid stuff, while when you are calm and happy you are able to think before to buy!!!
Is always nice when you do shopping an dyou do it with a smile!!!